THE RECIPE FOR DAIRY-FREE COCONUT YOGURT!
• A base – 2 cans coconut milk
• A thickener – 2 tsp agar-agar, or 2 tbsp. of tapioca starch
• A probiotic – 4 probiotic capsules, or 4 tbsps. of store bought coconut yogurt
• A sweetener– 2 tbsps. of raw coconut sugar or maple syrup
1. Sterilize your glass jars. Fill the jars with boiling water, and pop them in a preheated oven for 5 minutes at 100°F.
2. Shake the coconut milk cans, pour contents into a medium-sized pot, and whisk until smooth.
3. Add thickener. Sprinkle the agar-agar over the coconut milk, but don’t stir. (VARIATION: If you are using the tapioca starch as a thickener, take 1/3 of the coconut milk and whisk with starch in a separate bowl until completely dissolved. Then pour back into pot)
4. Warm the mixture. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then turn down to low heat and whisk occasionally for 5-10 minutes. Make sure that agar-agar is dissolved, or the starch has thickened the mixture.
5. Remove the mixture from the heat and let it cool for 7 minutes.
6. Add the probiotics. Twist open capsules and pour contents into the mix and whisk. (VARIATION: Whisk in the store bought coconut milk yogurt)
7. Sweeten. Whisk in raw coconut sugar or use a pure maple syrup.
8. Pour the mixture into jars and put it in the oven for 12-24 hours undisturbed.
9. Let the yogurt sit in the fridge for 6 hours before consumption.
Very important Note:
If you notice a pink or gray discoloration in the yogurt, throw it away because it’s a sign that a bad bacteria culture has grown together with the good stuff. This occurs due to mistakes in the sterilization process, so you should be more careful.
We advise you to consume this amazing coconut yogurt as a part of your healthy breakfast.