It is a well-known fact that an acidic body is unhealthy body as it creates a perfect environment for bacteria, yeast, and illness to thrive. In a case of overly acidic environment, the body takes vitamins from organs in order to neutralize the acid and get rid of it. Consequently, body`s mineral reserves, including potassium, magnesium, sodium and calcium can become too low and cause serious damage.
Unfortunately, most people regularly consume acid-forming foods, such as sugar, grains, meats and dairy. Given the fact that the body is generating acidic waste from the metabolism all the time, the waste has to be neutralized or removed. Therefore, supplying the body with alkaline foods is the most important thing we can do in order to neutralize the acid generation.
Below, you have a list of health issues caused by poor pH balance, a condition known as acidosis:
1. Allergies, acne
2. Joint pain, aching muscles and lactic acid buildup
3. Headaches, confusion, sleepiness
4. Osteoporosis, weak brittle bones, hip fractures, bone spurs
5. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
6. Premature aging
7. Accelerated free radical damage
8. Bladder and kidney infections
9. Weight gain, obesity and diabetes
10. Heart problems, arrhythmias, increased heart rate
11. Cardiovascular damage, including the constriction of blood vessels and reduction in oxygen
12. Low energy and chronic fatigue
13. Yeast fungal overgrowth
14. Respiratory problems, shortness of breath, coughing
15. Sciatica, lumbago, stiff neck
16. Immune deficiency
17. Inflamed sensitive gums, cavities
Even though the body has the ability to adjust its pH on its own, this comes with a price. Namely, the pH for all tissues and fluids in the body is alkaline, except for the stomach. All systems have a wide pH range, except for the blood, and they can shift in order to maintain the blood pH. For instance, if the system becomes overly acidic, the blood takes alkaline-forming elements from the digestive system of the small intestine, creating a less than optimal environment for digestion. In other words, even though the body can adjust its pH, it affects other system in the body, creating a perfect soil for the development of additional issues.
A healthy pH value ranges between 6.75 and 7.25 while the optimal pH reading is 7.36. It is very important to do a pH testing in order to get a numeric representation of the level of acidification in your body.
You Can`t Tell if Food is Acidic or Alkaline by Taste Alone
Even though most people consider lemons acidic, they are actually alkaline forming food. Namely, the acids are oxidized into carbon dioxide and water during digestion, meaning that they don’t create acid environment in the body.
The major alkalizing minerals include iron, magnesium, potassium, sodium and calcium. Therefore, foods which are high in these minerals are alkaline forming food. Most foods contain both acid and alkaline minerals and a food is considered acidic or alkaline based on the minerals which prevail.
The Body has its Limits
Food intake has an important role in keeping acid-alkaline balance as the body has limits for how much it can compensate for acid imbalance. In fact, body`s efforts to restore the balance in the internal environment is the cause of many diseases.
In general, if the diet is high in acid-forming foods, such as sugar, meat, grains, and dairy, the body becomes more acidic. On the other hand, if the diet is high in alkaline-forming foods like sea vegetables, greens, and fruits, the body becomes too alkaline. Therefore balance is key.
How Does Your Body Respond to Specific Foods?
The way your body responds to specific foods heavily depends on your dominant constitutional type. If you are dominant to autonomic system (ANS), proteins cause the body to become acidic and fruits and veggies shift the body to a more alkaline condition. On the other hand, if your type is oxidative, fruits and veggies make your body more acidic while proteins cause your body to become more alkaline.
How to Improve Your Alkalinity?
1. Check your pH on a regular basis
2. Remove acidic foods
3. Remove processed foods
4. Remove soda, sugars and coffee. Replace them with herbal tea, herbal coffee and green drinks
5. Replace dairy milks with almond or coconut milk
6. Replace a traditional lunch with a large green salad
7. Use lettuce leaves and collard greens as wraps
8. Add green juices or smoothies to your diet
9. Drink plenty of water